WhatsApp was founded by Jan Koum and Brian Acton. It is an instant messaging service for smartphones like iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry. It allows the user to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp is a freeware that is supported by ads, as opposed to being a commercial product with added fees as in other cases. In 2014, WhatsApp was bought by Facebook for 19 billion dollars.
In short, it is a mobile messaging app for smartphones which supports voice calls as well. The users can send messages and exchange photos, videos, documents etc. with their family and friends. Since the data is encrypted end-to-end, WhatsApp is a secure way of communication. Although the voice calls are free, users need to pay for internet data charges.
Discord was founded by Jason Citron. It is a free online text and voice service that users can use when playing with their friends, either video games or not. Discord allows users to create a server with chat channels dedicated to specific topics, and private messaging.
The user interface is optimized for use while playing, with features that allow users to see who is currently playing in the same game, and what each player is doing. Discord can be used both on desktops and mobiles.
Discord is an all-in-one voice and text chat that can be done by using different discord font styles for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both desktop and phone. You can have a look at different discord font collections which people are using on the Discord platform.
Discord is used by over 250+ million gamers all over the world, but some people are still confused between Discords vs. WhatsApp or maybe WhatsApp vs Discord? This article will help you understand the differences between the features of both applications, so read on to find out more.
Different between Discord and WhatsApp
The basic functions are similar, the main difference being the target audience. Discord is targeted to video gamers, for whom WhatsApp is not designed. The other difference is that Discord has a free version that can be used by all users, whereas WhatsApp charges for its services. Discord also has an animated emoji called “emoji’s”, which are not available in WhatsApp.
- Both Discord and WhatsApp are available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Discord is used as a chat application for gaming communities, whereas WhatsApp is available as an instant messaging application.
- WhatsApp is a cross-platform app, whereas Discord is a cross-platform app supporting various operating systems.
- WhatsApp has the ability to send emoji’s, stickers, documents and GIFs. On the other hand, Discord is available with the less number of stickers and no ability to send GIFs.
- WhatsApp has the ability to show your typing status, whereas Discord does not.
- WhatsApp has the ability to create groups in order to send texts, voice calls and images. On the other hand, Discord does not have the feature to create groups.
- Discord has a special feature to share your screen with the group during voice calls. On the other hand, WhatsApp does not have this feature.
- WhatsApp has the ability to play voice notes on audio files up to one minute. On the other hand, Discord has this feature within five minutes.
To Conclude, Discord and WhatsApp are both communication services that can be used on smartphones. Their main difference is their target audience: gamers for Discord and smartphone users for WhatsApp. Also, Discord is a free service, whereas WhatsApp charges a fee to use the app.
Discord is a gaming app while WhatsApp is a mobile messaging app. Although both the apps are used for communication purposes, they have a lot of differences. Discord can be used for general purpose use while WhatsApp is a mobile messaging app and hence it cannot be used for general purpose use. The other difference is that there are no charges for voice calls on WhatsApp, but there are data charges for them. Lastly, WhatsApp encrypts all the messages end-to-end but Discord does not encrypt all the messages.